Re: 20040205: netCDF Decoders - Sun OS - pgb.cdl file?

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

Mark,

Unidata usually supplies cdl files for most of the real-time models, to
create a cdl for other data, ie pgb use the gribtocdl utility that is
included with the decoders package. The gribtocdl reads the raw grib files
and extracts the needed information about the model and variables. To run
gribtocdl, first concatenate some grib files that have all the variables
one wants in the netCDF file.  Then run gribtocdl on the concatenated
file, ie

% gribtocdl -v <raw grib file>

This outputs a cdl file, one can redirect it to a file, ie pgb.cdl
The pgb.cdl needs to be  fine tuned, edit the file to fill in the
placeholders, etc.  Then run gribtonc on the file to find any other
errors, ie

% gribtonc -v -l - pgb.cdl pgb.nc <  pgb.input

The decoders package has a man page on gribtocdl for extra help.

Robb...