Re: grib=>nc time axis problem

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Lori Thompson wrote:

> Hi Robb. I wrote to you a couple weeks ago regarding a conversion from
> grib to nc data. During the conversion using gribtocdl and gribtonc, I
> received an additional record dimension which contained blank data. As a
> solution, after gribtocdl, I edit the cdl file and change valtime_offset
> in the dimensions section equal to 1 rather than 2 and in the data
> section, change valtime_offset from 0, model_time to model_time. This

Lori,

My solution to this is in this msg:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/msgout?/glimpse/decoders/627

> resulted in 1 record frame for the time series. However, the concatenated
> time series file does not contain a time axis. I tried to edit the cdl
> file by replacing record with time, add the time variable with the
> metadata, and add the time under the data section equal to the model time.

I would edit the cdl by setting the dimension "valtime_offset" to the
number of hours in the time series. In the data section set the variable
"valtime_offset" to the actual hours in the time series. ie

valtime_offset = 84, 96, 108, 132, 144, 120, 192, 240 ;

This is how the ldm pqact is set up to decode the model files resulting
with one record per hour. Hopefully this solves your problem.

Robb..