Re: METAR

Jonathan,

Actually I had to rethink about my approach of wanting Metar variable
names to be CF standard quantities names.  My goal was to make a
uniform variable name so all the Metar decoders could be "standarized".
Now, I know this is impossible as you pointed this out in your
reply to the list with the example of wind speed. At this time I need to
create/check the variable names and include the CF standard quantities
with the NetCDF variable. There are a couple of new standard quantities
that might be needed, ie temperature at 2 meters. In talking with others,
surface temperature is always measured at 2 meters in the surface type
reports so not to be affected by radiation, etc from the surface itself. I
don't know how "models" deal with this problem. I need to revisit my Metar
variables to make a formal message to the CF list.

Thanks for the followup,
Robb...