20040519: Difficulty with gribtocdl !!! - s400.wood.wmich.edu

>From: Karthik Samudram Jayaraman <address@hidden>

Hi Karthik-

>I was trying to convert some grib data file to netcdf.
>
>I used the following command to get the cdl file:
>
>gribtocdl -v <  GRID9004 > grib.cdl
>
>I get the message :
>
>gribtocdl[21152]: error reading GRIB product
>
>This message repeats for a number of times.
>
>I got the same message when i used the gribdump command.
>
>This was a archival data. I tried getting the data from the ftp site
>( assuming that the transfer was bad ) a number of times with the
>same result.

If you got this from the SSEC archive, then these are McIDAS
grids not GRIB files.  You would need the raw GRIB data for
gribtocdl to work.  If you need the GRIB data, please send
a message to address@hidden (you need to subscribe
first) requesting the type of data you want (ETA, AVN, etc)
and the dates for the raw data.

If you are using one of the standard GRIB data supported under
gribtonc (i.e., AVN, ETA), you should just use the CDL's that
come with gribtonc instead of running gribtocdl.

Don Murray