RE: New to this...

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Wade Shumaker wrote:

> Robb,
>
> Thanks again. I've successfully dl'ed data from the server. A couple
> questions... here's the setup I've been using:
> West Lon: 60
> East Lon: 72
> N Lat: 39
> S Lat: 29
> Hrs: 0-24

Wade,

west longitude is negative and east is positive, so afghanistan would be

west lon 60 east lon 72
N Lat: 39 S Lat: 29

i did a quick test and the data is over afghanistan.

> - When using the 1 deg model, I can successfully get any of the fields
> in the first set of grids (N5_geopot... thru volumetric_soil_moisture),
> but as soon as I add anything from the 2nd set, I get an error saying
> "Invalid Lat/Lon Range".

i think the problem is that the file wasn't completely arrived at the
motherlode site before you tried to access it. this is problem that we are
currently fixing. i just did a test and got parameter
N5-wave_geopot_height_anomaly grid 1 and  Albedo from grid 2, and it worked ok.
one strang thing that happened was when i downloaded the files, i got 2
files GFS_Global_onedeg_20060719_1200.grib1.nc with nothing in it and
GFS_Global_onedeg_20060719_1200.grib1.nc.part with the data. i'll check on
this, it seems some process didn't complete.

> - When I try the exact same setup numbers w/ the 2.5 deg model, I can't
> get any data, not even anything from the first set of grids
>
> I suspect I'm not understanding how the lat/lon works, and possibly the
> data I DID get to work isn't for the area I'm interested in
> (Afghanistan).

i suspect the above problems are the same as the one stated. you might
look at the file sizes before downloading the data. if the file isn't
close in size to the previous one, then it only a partial file. the latest
tab always picks the last file even if it's only a partial file.

robb...