Re: your request to subscribe to "BUFRLIB support"

Hi Robb,

My responses are interspersed below...

Robb Kambic wrote:
Jeff,

I have some questions about bufr tables. Hope you can answer these.

A snippet of your code shows:

    IF  ( cborg (1:4) .eq. 'KARP' )  THEN
        bfstyp = 'NC004004'
    ELSE IF  ( cborg (1:4) .eq. 'EGRR' )  THEN
        bfstyp = 'NC004006'
    ELSE
        bfstyp = 'NC004009'
    END IF

It appears that you are using part of the product pattern to load certain tables, is that correct?
Actually, the pattern is being used to select the data subtype (either 006 or 009). Both of these subtypes are defined in the same BUFR tables file, which is permissible and which allows the code to only have to read in a single tables file.

In doc:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/sib/decoders/BUFRLIB/toc/dfbftab/

it mentions that the mnemonic tables need to be loaded according to datatype and data subtype. This seems different then your code, can you explain this?
The tables do need to be loaded according to data type and subtype, meaning that you do always need to ensure that the types and subtypes you are working with are defined in the table(s) you have loaded. But again, there is nothing preventing a single tables file from containing more than one, or indeed even all of the subtypes in question, which makes the overall code design much simpler.

In doc:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/data_processing/NCEP_BUFR_File_Structure.htm#ASCII_Table

it mentions that the first descriptors in the data refer to what tables need to be loaded to decode. How many products follow this syntax?
I'm not sure I understand this question - can you point me to the exact text which you are referring to in the above document?

In doc:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/data_processing/bufrtab_tabled.htm

In the local classes there are many reference to mnemonic tables that I can't find anywhere on the web. The tables are in [] similar to [NC003003]. Where can I download these tables?
Go to http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/codes/nwprod/fix/ where you'll see a listing of all of our current BUFR tables. In particular, the definition of NC003003 would be in bufrtab.003, along with the definitions for all of the other data which have type 003.

Thanks,
RObb...