Re: Are we WMO members? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 18:00:03 -0600
From: Linda Miller <address@hidden>
To: John Caron <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Are we WMO members?

Hi Everybody,

Mohan is right in stating that only countries are members of WMO, however each country has U.S. representatives to the WMO. Fred Branksi is one of the Permanent Representative (PR) to the WMO on data issues such as this. Fred has been at NWS for years, so he is pretty knowledgeable on such things as BUFR file format. If you want me to follow up on this, I will, or you can contact Fred (who might be on travel) at:

Fred Branski
address@hidden
301-713-0864X121

Linda

John Caron wrote:
im looking for a formal specification of the BUFR file format.

according to NCEP (http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/sib/decoders/BUFRLIB/)

"the WMO Manual #306, Volume I.2, Part B itself, which .. is nonetheless the "official" documentation of the BUFR code form"

from this page:

  http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/WMOCodes/ManualCodesGuides.html

the link "Volume I.2 - Global Aspects" (http://www.wmo.int/pages/wmoftpaxspublications_en.html) is password protected.

thanks

Don Murray wrote:
John-

What document are you looking for in particular?  It might be
available another way.

Don

Ben Domenico wrote:
Hi John,

Gil Ross of the British Met Office is very interested in our work with
netCDF, CF, CDM, and WCS binary encoding.  He's very active in the WMO data
systems standards (so of course he's also interesed in BUFR and GRIB).  He
was planning to "attend" your seminar on the earlier date and I assume he'll still do so next week unless there's a conflict. He's probably our best bet
for a contact.  Dave McGuirk would be the other one.  Would you like me to
contact either or both of them?

-- Ben