Re: decoders] Possible to use GribJava to extract data based on a coordinate? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:05:00 +0000
From: Sam <address@hidden>
To: Robb Kambic <address@hidden>
    decoders <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: decoders] Possible to use GribJava to extract data based on a
    coordinate?

Hi Stephanie

I'd highly recommend looking at the pygrib2 module. It can do what you
need quite simply.

http://code.google.com/p/pygrib2/

Good luck

Sam

http://somafm.com

2009/1/27 Robb Kambic <address@hidden>:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Stephanie Mayfield wrote:

I am attempting to use the grib-6.0.jar (GribJava) for extracting data
from a grib file.  What I want to do is extract data based on a
particular lat/lon point within the area.

Hiya,

Noop, the GribJava library is mainly a low level grib reader. There is a
netCDF subset service that can perform that task. It at:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds

drill down to a model file level, then there are some options about how
to extract the data.

Robb..

For instance, I would like to take the NAM model's grib files and
extract the temperature for a specific point, say Halifax International
Airport.  Is it possible to use this library for that purpose?   If so,
can anyone post and example of how that would be done or even point me
at the right direction?  I've managed to get the test files to run and
show me data.  I have a vague understanding of how to choose which
parameters I want.  But I'm having trouble figuring out how, if at all,
I can indicate the location.

Thanks!
Steph

--