Re: DIFAX Alternatives

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Jeff Weber wrote:

> Unidata has tracked these issues and coordinated some options that can be
> utilized when the DIFAX service ceases to exist or Alden continues with
> idd transmission difficulties.
>
> Unidata is generating .gif imagery of these products via Redbook Graphics
> and can be viewed or downloaded at:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/redbook/

Just a word of warning...NWS is going to discontinue these too,
eventually.

> The University of Wisconsin is also generating DIFAX type products which
> are available for viewing and download in postscript format at:
>
> http://mapmaker.meteor.wisc.edu/difaxmaps/

> NOAA also offers DIFAX type products for viewing and download in
> compressed (G4) .tiff formats at:
>
> http://weather.noaa.gov/fax/graph.shtml
>
> and
>
> http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/wefax/products.htm
>
> DIFAX will cease operations in the near future, we offer these options as
> interim solutions.

Thanks, but the Wisconsin site is difficult to get images from, since they
are in different directories. The weather.noaa.gov site is a slow
download, to say the least. It looks like I and all of us will need to
look for a longer term solution pretty quick, as others have stated.

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: address@hidden                                 ***