Re: 20000926: Alden update...

Hi DOn,

> Unidata does not have a contract with Alden to provide DIFAX via LDM,
> each individual site has their own contract.  Please re-read Dave Fulker's
> note of August 28 which explains this and Unidata position on the
> future of DIFAX.

You are right. Got it.

> Also, for DIFAX related issues, address@hidden is perhaps a
> better forum. ldm-users is intended for discussing LDM specific issues,
> such as problems with the program or (unfortunately, IMHO) IDD data
> problems. There is only a very small subset of the entire ldm-users list
> that depends on Alden for data, DIFAX or otherwise. There are other
> users on that list that use LDM, but who do not even participate in
> the IDD - NWS, private companies, etc. I appreciate you trying to keep
> other Alden customers informed, but using ldm-users to distribute this
> information may give the impression that the successful operation of the
> IDD is still dependent on Alden's participation, which it is not.

True, but there are at least a dozen or so who use their DDPLUS feed from
here (LSU is one example, but there are many others).

> It may be moot at this point, but I'm sure Unidata would be willing
> to set up an address@hidden list for discussion of
> Alden related problems.
>
> Again, these are my personal thoughts.

Thank you! And actually, no offense, but this may be a moot
point. :-)  Between you and me, Alden is dead. I bring this up as to
explore other options with the LDM community. I have been getting many
phone calls and emails about the issue, so I know it's just not a few
people, otherwise I would not have sent the messages out. That said, as
you said, it's probably all a dead issue; by October 1, Alden should be no
more.

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: address@hidden                                 ***