20001101: changing background color for gif2 device in GEMPAK 5.6

David,

The background color is defined from the first color index of the installed
color table, however, you can create a gifw device that hardcodes white
as the background color. In hscrgb.f, set the color 101 being passed as
values of 255:

        IF ( icolr .eq. 101 ) THEN
c           CALL WBCOLR ( ired, igreen, iblue, iret )
            ibg_red = 255
            ibg_green = 255
            ibg_blue = 255
            CALL WBCOLR ( ibg_red, ibg_green, ibg_blue, iret )
        ELSE
            icred  ( icolr ) = ired
            icgrn  ( icolr ) = igreen
            icblue ( icolr ) = iblue
            CALL  WSCOLR ( ired, igreen, iblue, iret )
        END IF

If you create a separate driver, just copy the $GEMPAK/source/driver/active/gif2
directory to gifw, then edit the makefile and change the PROG and ALIB names
to gifw and gifw.a respectively.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support