20001226: GEMPAK 5.6a and directional arrows

>From: 10 <address@hidden>

>I would like to make vector plots of model forecast winds
>using just an arrow with no length increase and no barbs
>in gdplot.  Like what can be donw with darr in snplot.
>It looks like wind symbol of D, directional arrow
>should do this for me, but everytime I use it (D, D32, DK32)..etc
>it just plot wind barbs.  What am I doing wrong here?
>
>Tanks,
>Robert Mullenax
>NSBF

Robert,

Try using gdplot2, for example:

GDPFUN   = drct         or   dirn(wnd)
TYPE     = d
WIND     = an5/.6
SKIP     = /2;2

The type "d" will plot a directional arrow based on the value of gdpfun.
You can control the size, color, width of the arrows with WIND, and
SKIP will let you control which grid points the values are plotted for.

gdplot is being phased out, so you should consider migrating to gdplot2.

Steve Chiswell