20010103: GARP and NIDS

Tom,

The NIDS data on NOAAPORT is still encrypted.
You won't be able to view the NIDS data until it becomes
unencrypted sometime around Jan 10, 2001. The only station currently
enencrypted in the zlib compressed format is KARX. However, KARX is
being broadcast in both encrypted and unencrypted formats, so
you would have to be able to not file the encrypted products
(which are at the same times as the unencrypted) to make sure that
GEMPAK found the correct file.

The message "unsupported file format" is generated when GEMPAK doesn't
recognize the file format, which is the case since it isn't viewable
as NIDS products.

Steve Chiswell
Unidtas User Support