20010106: 20010104: GEMPAK 5.6 & white bg drivers

>From: Tom McDermott <address@hidden>

>On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Unidata Support wrote:
>
>> In addition to creating separate device drivers, you can
>> run "gpcolor" and set COLORS=101=white to set the background color
>> number 101 to white (or any color), or to quickly set the xw
>> color, you can launch the "ncolor" application from ntl and
>> click on the first color box (#0) and configure the color).
>
>Does the 'gpcolor' program set the background color just for one session
>(hopefully), or permanently?   We would like to retain the default display
>behavior, but change the background for certain selected purposes.

The color is set for that session....or as long as ntl is running
with the shared color map installed. This will work with older
versions of GEMPAK (and its more general than hardcoding the color
into the device driver).

>I assume 'ncolor' is new with 5.6, since I don't have it currently.  Would
>it set the background colors just for the 'n' apps, or would it work with
>garp as well?

If you are using "ntl" which installs the shared color map, then all
programs will inherit the background color you set.

>> I can create the above drivers you mention again if you need them.
>
>No need for that Steve.  I have the instructions from the archive
>discussion printed out so I can build them again if necessary.  I just
>wanted to know if you knew offhand any reason why the same procedures
>wouldn't work with 5.6 .  Thanks.

The only thing I found that didn't work was with the 5.6 non-X "gif" driver
which I did test using the gifw code in the $GEMPAK/source/driver/active
directory. I had to directly change the code there.

>Tom
>Tom McDermott                          Email: address@hidden
>System Administrator                   Phone: (716) 395-5718
>Earth Sciences Dept.                   Fax: (716) 395-2416
>SUNY College at Brockport

Steve Chiswell