20010108: Redbook Decoder

Glenn,

The VG device is one of the GEMPAK display devices (eg: phelp device)
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/manual/chap3/chap3.shtml?device

The VG (vector graphics device) is used to create the .vgf files that nmap can
read.
It is like the NC driver, except it stores lat/lon navigation with all
the line segments. etc. that are drawn.

The pqact.conf example below will PIPE the product to the dcredbook.csh script.

The dcredbook.csh shell script should look like:

#!/bin/csh -f
source /home/gempak/NAWIPS/Gemenviron

# Set a work directory and change directory to it
setenv VGDIR $GEMDATA/web/redbook
cd $VGDIR

set DEV='VG|'$$'.vgf'
# Redirect standard input to the dcredbook decoder
cat | dcredbook -v 1 -d $GEMDATA/logs/dcredbook.log $DEV
gpend

exit 0

#----------------------------------------------------------------

The script runs "cat | dcredbook..." which takes the input (which is the
PIPE from pqact). The dcredbook program will draw the graphic using
the device line specified by the environmental variable $DEV.

The gpend command tels the driver that all input is complete and the graphic is
finished.

To open the resulting .vgf file in nmap, you can add your data directory
(eg the VGDIR named in the above example) to $GEMTBL/nmap/vgf.nmap,
!title          vgf_dir
ncdc_data       $GEMDATA/web/redbook

Now when you run nmap or nmap2 and select the "vgf" data type, you will
have a list of categories for each directory name in the vgf.nmap file.
Click on the one called "ncdc_data" and you be able to pick from the files
in the directory with .vgf extensions.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support