20010117: sfmap in gempak 5.6

>From: address@hidden

>We had a script that we used to plot station locations of stations
>whose surface data met certain criteria (e.g TMPF>50).  We used
>sfmap with the MARKER variable to plot the locations of these
>stations.  I noticed that the new sfmap does not have a MARKER
>keyword.  Is there another program we should be using?  Is there
>some other technique for achieving this effect?
>
>Donna Tucker                      http://chinook.phsx.ukans.edu/tucker.html
>address@hidden      Department of Physics and Astronomy
>(785) 864-4738 (new area code!)    University of Kansas
>(785) 864-5262 (fax)               Lawrence, KS  66045-2151

Donna,

MARK is now a variable parameter you can specify in the SFPARM line,
so MARKER is no longer used in SFMAP. One of the advantages with this is that
MARK can now be variable according to your data, including colors.

When using MARK in sfparm, the syntax is:
MARK:markernum:size:width

to accomplish your criteria above:
SFPARM = mark:1:1:1;tmpf>50

Also note that you can color code a parameter based on another parameter
(so you can color a marker based on temperature).

For example, to color all the markers >= 50F green, and those
less than 50 blue:

SFPARM = mark:1:1:1
COLORS   = (50/26;23/TMPF/U)

You can then use CLRBAR to define the colorbar associated with the data.

Steve Chiswell