20010123: nsat color problem

Mark,

You should launch the "ntl" program first to ensure that you can allocate all
the colors needed. Since NSAT, GARP and NMAP all display satellite images
which use lots of colors (or gray shades) they are the most likely to
run out of colors. By launching ntl first, a shared color map is set up
for all the GEMPAK programs.

If ntl suceeds, you will have a launcher pannel with buttons for each GUI.
If you do not have enough colors, ntl will tell you how many colors you need
and how many you have. By default, GEMPAK will use 95 colors for satellite
images. If you are short the necessary number of colors, you can launch ntl
with
the -s command line option to specify fewer colors, such as "ntl -s 32".

Also, if you are short of colors, then make sure all other applications such
as web and file browsers are shut down first.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support