20010119: gempak/garp questions

Tony,

I have comments for your questions below. The radar rings and profiler
plots in garp are genuine bugs due to the change in the underlying
GEMPAK library. I have posted fixes as detailed below. Thanks for
pointing out these problems.

>From: Anthony Rockwood - MSCD Meteorology <address@hidden>

>Hi
>
>All new versions of Solaris 8, LDM and gempak/garp are up and running,
>including NOAAPORT radar data, but I have a list of configuration
>questions:
>
>How do I set the default directory that NSHARP looks in for current
>soundings?

Edit $NAWIPS/resource/Nsharp:

! GEMPAK observed sounding data
!
Nsharp*obssndg_sel.pattern:             /data/ldm/gempak/upperair/*upa*

>In garp, how do I set the default satellite enhancement back to gray
>scale?

To change the enhancement in Garp:
Pulldown menu "options" --> "enhancements" and select "gray".

Or, to change the default enhancement for all of GEMPAK:
edit $GEMTBL/sat/imgtyp.tbl and change the default LUT file name for
the appropriate images band, such as GOES8, IR from ir_sab.tbl to GRAY.

>In garp, the time-height profiler plots isn't being displayed correctly.
>Only a date and time label appears at the bottom, with some garbled
>characters in the lower left?

A change in the core GEMPAK code breaks a number that is hardcoded in Garp.
You can download the ~gbuddy/nawips-5.6/patches/garp/pwprof.f and prring.f
files to your $GARPHOME/gempak directory and then rebuild garp with:

cd $GARPHOME
make clean
make all
make install
make clean

This also includes the radar ring fix mentioned below.

>In the instructions for setting up the NOAAPORT radar feed, mention is
>made of the NMC3 floater set.  Has the floater system been activated?  A
>notifyme to cirrus.al.noaa.gov says no such header exists, only the full
>feed, NNEXRAD.

>I've messed around with NMAP and NMAP2.  What's the difference?  Is
>documentation on NMAP available?

NMAP is currently operational at NCEP while NMAP2 is still under development.
NMAP2 will be officially in use at NCEP for product generation 5.6b which
will be available soon. NMAP2 has more data types supported as well a 8
looping frames. There are still some features of NMAP that haven't been
implemented
in NMAP2 yet.

See documentation under the HELP button at the top of NMAP/NMAP2 as well as:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/GEMPAK5.6/whats_new.html
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/nmap.html

>When I try to create a graphic using NMAP2, an error window pops up saying
>I need to run "cleanvgf" from the nmap directory.  When I do this, I get a
>"file not found"  What is this and how do I set it up?

This script is in the $NAWIPS/bin/scripts directory which is added to
your search path by Gemenviron. It removes the .DEFAULT.vgf and .UNDO.vgf
files from your home (or working) directory (where NTL was launched from.

If product generation dies, you may have to remove these files. They allow
the user to go back or restore work on a product.

>In garp, my color topo map backgrounds aren't there.  How or what do I
>configure to be able to use these again?

They are there in $GARPHOME/map/areas in the distribution, and the
$GARPHOME/config/Garp_defaults configuration file is set up with:
colormapdir     : $(GARPHOME)/map/areas

If you don't have that path, then set it back to the above.

>In garp, I tried to overlay the nexrad range rings over a plot of the
>nexrad station IDs, garp crashed and core dumped?

The circle drawing routine calling sequence in GEMPAK changed.
This is patched in the prring.f file mentioned above.

>Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you said you had included a
>contouring routine in garp that would contour current surface and/or
>u/a data?  Was I dreaming?

I created a program called sfcntr from sfmap which can plot and contour
at the same time.

>Thanks,
>
>Tony

>   Anthony A. Rockwood              Metropolitan State College of Denver
>   Meteorology Program              Dept.of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
>   303.556.8399                     P.O. Box 173362, Campus Box 22
>   address@hidden                Denver, CO  80217-3362
>   fax: 303.556.4436                www.mscd.edu/~eas

Steve Chiswell