20010201: 20010131: Nexrad RCM's

Glenn,

The $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl entry in place for nmap is:
RCMG         $MODEL                    YYYYMMDD_radar.gem

If you use YYYYMMDDHH_radar.gem as the file name in dcgrib, you
will be able to pull up the data in NMAP using the data pulldown
"data-->grid-->rcmg".

Since there is just 1 RCM grid every 30 minutes, I place the entire day in
a single file. The parameter is RDSP1 on a level of 0, vertical coord NONE.

The grib data has VIP levels 0 through 6 as well as the 7 and 8 values
for the unidentified echos (just as the MDR did). Since the 7 and 8 values
make the plots look really ugly (eg, a ring around the radar limit boarders),
I used the NMAP restore function of slt(rdsp1,7) which only displays the values
less than 7. If you plot in garp, I'd suggest creating an fdf of the same.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support