20010204: Gempak, NCDC/FSL CDROM

Diana,

Sorry to take so long in packing this stuff up. Meetings keep
piling up and keeping us from getting other work done!

I have created a tarfile of a mininal GEMPAK environment along
with the software I used to extract data from the NCDC/FSL
radiosonde data of North America CDROM set.

You can download this from our ftp server:
host: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
login gbuddy
password: XXXXXX

Once logged in, you will find the tarfile under:
nawips-5.6/binary/cal/gempak.tar.Z

Donwload this file to a clean directory on your computer where you want the
software to reside. Unpack the tarfile with:
zcat gempak.tar.Z | tar xvf -

Edit the Gemenviron file in the top level directory. Edit the NAWIPS
environmental
variable definition to the be the path to the directory where you unpacked
the distribution.

The Gemenviron file is a csh script. It is assumed you will run GEMPAK from
a csh (or tcsh) session.

Once you have edited the Gemenviron file, you can source the Gemenviron file
with
the command "source Gemenviron". This sets environmental variables in your
current working environment for your shell. You will do this each time you want
to run GEMPAK, so it is usually a line added to your .cshrc file in you home
directory.

To convert the bufr format data from the CDROMs that you have into GEMPAK
format,
you will do the following:

1) Extract the data set from the CDROM to a fsl text format file on your disk
   using the getraob program that NCDC provides (I have included this in the
   tarfile)

2) Convert the fsl format file to a GEMPAK format file using the fsltogem
program
   I wrote. I eliminated the need for snedit by writing the GEMPAK file directly
   since you mentioned that disk space was a problem.

I provided a script $NAWIPS/bin/scripts/getraob_cdrom.csh
This script runs the getraob program from NCDC. You should edit the
script and change the "/CDROM/raobs" directory location to be wherever
your cdrom mount is located (on my computer, the cdrom mounts to
the directory /CDROM, the /CDROM/raobs directory is the location of
the radiosonde data on the cd.

From the information you provided me, I'll assume that you are going to
extract data from a few stations for a long time period. Change your
working directory to the $GEMDATA directory (this location isn't important
as far as the software goes, so you can change this if needed).

To extract the data, run the script "getraob_cdrom.csh". The script
and GEMPAK executable directories will be added to your path when you source
the
Gemenviron file, so all you have to do is type getraob_cdrom.csh at you prompt.
The NCDC/FSL program will ask you several questions to download the data.
I'll step through these as an example using the first cd of the set I have
which is 1946-1965. My input is shown on lines marked >>>>. Things to note
are that my conversion program will expect that you use the "new format 99999"
option, as well as ask for winds in "10ths of m/s".

Welcome to the NOAA/FSL Rawinsonde Database
                                Access System - Version 2.3

<snip>

        Enter HELP for general information about this database
        Enter <return> to access the rawinsonde database

    NOTE: Raob data from the directory: /CDROM/raobs/
            is available for the years:  1946 thru 1965

 What GMT sounding hour(s) do you want?
      0  -  All times
      1  -  0z and 12z only
      2  -  0z only
      3  -  12z only

 How do you wish to access the data set?
      0  -  by station number
      1  -  by geographic location
      2  -  all available observations

                 Station Number Access

     What type of output format do you want?
      0  -  FSL format
      1  -  FAA604 format <USED BY SHARP SOFTWARE>
      2  -  NETCDF format

  We have begun including data above 100mb pressure.  In order to support this
  data a new modified output format contains the following changes:
        1. All pressure levels are in tenths of millibars
        2. The missing indicator changed from 32767 to 99999
        3. Data above 100mb (if available)

 What type of data levels do you want?
      0  -  all levels
      1  -  mandatory levels only
      2  -  mandatory and significant levels only
 What type of wind speed units do you want?
      0  -  knots
      1  -  tenths of meters/second

 How do you want to organize the output data?
      0  -  Synoptic Sort (time series)
      1  -  Climatological Sort (station series)
    Note:  For large data requests, type help for performance information.

 Where do you want to direct the output?
      0  -  to the screen
      1  -  to output file(s)

 Where do you want to write the output files?

                Station Series Sort

 How do you want structure your output file(s)?
      0  -  all data in one file      <YYMMDDHH.rao>
      1  -  one station per file      <YYMMDDHH.INI>
      2  -  one sounding per file     <MMDDYYHH.INI>

 STATUS:  Writing output file: ./1948101603.rao
 STATUS:  number of soundings written: 18545

Ok, that is step one. I included in the distribution tar file the sample data
set for Denver I obtained above in the $GEMDATA directory. That is 25MB so you
can remove it as necessary- but I wanted you to have a test data set to work
with.

Now, you can convert the FSL text format file created above onto a GEMPAK format
file using the "fsltogem" program. Using the output file created above
1948101603.rao,
run fsltogem as:

fsltogem 1948101603.rao

The program will run for a while creating yearly GEMPAK files from the above
data.
When complete, you will have:
% ls 19??.gem
1948.gem  1950.gem  1952.gem  1954.gem  1956.gem  1958.gem  1960.gem  1962.gem
1964.gem
1949.gem  1951.gem  1953.gem  1955.gem  1957.gem  1959.gem  1961.gem  1963.gem
1965.gem

Each yearly file is about 2MB and can store up to 2000 times, for 200 stations.
Assuming 2 soundings per day is 765 soundings in a yearly file. Since sounding
times have changes over the years, you shouldn't assume that all soundings
are at 0Z and 12Z (eg, the choice above for "all sounding times" in the cdrom
extraction program). In fact, for the above data, most soundings are at 3Z and
15Z
with many other times. You can run the getraob program for each CD in the set
you
have and use fsltogem to convert each to GEMPAK format files. You can remove the
FSL format ascii file when you are done converting to GEMPAK format.

To use SNLIST to look at the data for 1950:

% snlist
 SNFILE   = 1950.gem
 AREA     = @72469
 DATTIM   = all
 SNPARM   = dset
 STNDEX   = lift
 LEVELS   = all
 VCOORD   = pres
 OUTPUT   = t
 MRGDAT   = y
GEMPAK-SNLIST> r

To plot a time serires of LIFT for 1950:

% sntser
 SNFILE   = 1950.gem
 DATTIM   = all
 TAXIS    = 500101/0000-510101/0000