20010201: motif and linux

>From: Cristina Lozej <address@hidden>

>Hi Steve!
>
>I am trying to install GEMPAK and GARP on my Linux Red Hat 6.2 machine.
>The binary installation failed because I don't have glib2.1.95 and the
>normal installation failed because I don't think I have Motif on my system
>(is there any way to verify that?). I was wondering if you guys had some
>miraculous binary version compiled on RedHat 6.2 somewhere on your site
>... Is there any way you can help me with this?
>
>Thank you very much!
>
>Cristina

> *
>   Cristina Lozej Archer
>   PhD Student
>   Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering          Tel: 650 723 182
> 5
>   Stanford University                                        Fax: 650 725 972
> 0
>   Stanford, CA 94305-4020                     Email: address@hidden
>   http://www.stanford.edu/~lozej
> *

Cristina,

The binary release of GEMPAK I provide was compiled on a RedHat 7.0 Linux
system (since tht is the machine we have Motif installed on). The
glibc version in RH 7.0 is 2.1. Under RH 6.2, you should have glibc2.0,
so that is likely the problem you will have when trying to run my binaries on
an older OS.

The only RedHat 6.2 binary I have is from GEMPAK 5.4 under
~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/binary/linux

For Linux, Motif was a third party packagethat we had to purchase separately
for about $149. From my understanding, RedHat 7.0 will now support
openmotif which is freely available. I don't know if you can obtain it
for your 6.2 system.

Once we have openmotif installed on a system here, I will be testing it out
to make sure it is fully compatible with the GEMPAK software.

Steve Chiswell