20010215: GEMPAK Linux

>From: <address@hidden>

>Steve,
>  I've been trying to view satellite data on GARP and am getting errors
>with the color allocation. I've set up my Linux colors to 8bit pseudocolor
>and this works great for everything but satellite imagery. Do you know
>what I might need to do to make this work right for me?
>
>Thanks,
>  Steve Saleeby
>  Atmos. Sci. CSU
>
>--
>"The eternal God is our refuge, and underneath are the
>everlasting arms."    -Deuteronomy 31:27-
>
>Stephen Millican Saleeby  (address@hidden)
>3501 S. Stover  Apt 3-54  (H):970-267-9302) (W):970-491-8588
>Fort Collins, CO 80525    (cell):970-231-0390
>
>Home Page: http://hugo.atmos.colostate.edu/www/index.html
>Gravity Wave Page: http://hugo.colostate.edu/www/gwave.html

Steve,

Make sure you launch "ntl" first to set up the shared color map for
GEMPAK. This will allocate all the colors for all the GEMPAK programs
and will ensure that you don't run out of colors in the middle of
a session.

When you launch ntl, it will tell you if you have enough colors in
advance. If you don't, it will tell you how many you do have.
You can cut down the number of colors used for satellite images
(from the default of 95) using the -s option, eg "ntl -s 64" to
use 64 colors for satellite images.

Once you launch ntl, you can launch garp either from the button bar, or
from the command line....the shared color map will be used. Once you have
launched ntl, you can go ahead and launch other applications such as
web browsers without having them eat up the colors that GEMPAK will be using.

Steve Chiswell