20010301: HELP GEMPAK and LDM: found maybe the problem

>From: Christian Page <address@hidden>

>Hi again,
>
>Maybe I have found the problem. I erased the old gempak surface file and then
>restarted ldm. It now seems to work. But I have read in old messages in this
>mailing list that maybe the file had filled up? Is there a maximum number of
>items I can put in a gempak surface file with dcmetr? If so, how can I extend
>the size?
>

>Christian Page
>address@hidden    http://meteocentre.com/toulouse/
>
>Visiteur scientifique Tel:05 61 07 82 69
>CNRM/GMEI/MNP et SCEM/PREVI/AERO/DP

Christian,

The problem is likely that the previous file was creates with the hrly.pack
packing file from 5.4 which used TMPF & DWPF for temperature. The
metar.pack file in 5.6 uses TMPC & DWPC. So, the decoder couldn't find a
matching parameter to write TMPC out to. PMSL was fouund, so you saw those
values.

In 5.6, a surface file can contain 29,000 different unique station IDs
(the sfmetar_sa.tbl file only contains ~4000 stations), so number of stations
is not a problem.

Steve Chiswell