20010306: 20010306: dcmetr 30 min bins?

>From: Christian Page <address@hidden>

>Hi,
>
>I would like to setup dcmetr to store data in 30 min bins, instead of the 20 m
> in
>bins example that is provided in the GEMPAK pqact.conf. It is said that using
>dcmetr -m 72
>store data in 20 min bins.
>But in dcmetr help, it is said:
>       -m maxtim       Set the maximum number of times
>       -b nhours       Number of hours to decode prior to "current" time
>So why the "maximum number of times" is related to in the bins times?
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Christian Page
>address@hidden    http://meteocentre.com/toulouse/
>
>Visiteur scientifique Tel:05 61 07 82 69
>CNRM/GMEI/MNP et SCEM/PREVI/AERO/DP

Chirstian,

dcmetr always bins observations in hourly bins, unless maxtim is 72, in which
case the 3 bins per hour are used based on the fact that certain US (AWOS)
stations broadcast 3 observations per hour.

This is hardcoded into $GEMPAK/source/bridge/mt/mtdcod.f. If maxtim is 72,
then offtim is set in the call to $GEMPAK/source/bridge/dc/dcgtim.f
which assumes:
minute = 0 when obs minute >= 45, < 5
minute = 20 when obs minute >= 5, < 25
minute = 40 when obs minute >= 25 < 45