20010329: Decoding special observations via NOAAPORT data stream

Scott,

The default maximum number of times allowed in a GEMPAK file is 300
as set in $GEMPAK/include/GEMPRM.PRM and gemprm.h. Your use of
-m 1440 is greater than this limit. Exceeding the limit
may cause all sorts of problems with sizes.

Also, by using -m 72 in my example, the decoder will store
data using 20 minute bins instead of rounding to the hour.
This is useful for some locations which take observations 3x per hour
such as the Minnesota and Iowa mesonets, AWOS and other reporting sites.
72 is the only number recognized by dcmetr for producing 20 minute bins
(eg 24 hours * 3 per hour). Any other number will be ignored in
terms of 20 minute bins (dcmetr -help).

Up to 3 specials will be stored in the gempak file for any hour per station
and you can view the raw reports with PARM=TEXT;SPCL in sflist. The specials
won't be decoded.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support