20010508: 20010507: setting DISPLAY variable

Talbot,

If you can send xclock (or xterm, or even xdpyinfo) from the Alpha
to the linux machine, then you most likely have DISPLAy set to
the correct machine:0 display. But, since that wasn't what you
showed in the message, I have to check that possibility too.
Are you sure you were running xclock from the alpha back to your machine,
or was it running locally?

You can usually specify what window manager you will be using
in your user profiler. That should be an option in one of the screens
so that the next time you log in, you get that session. Often, if you are
running
the xdm login manager, you have a tab to select which window manager
you will choose to use.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support