Re: 20010508: GEMPAK 5.6.C.1: radar composites

>To: Clint Rowe <address@hidden>
>cc: address@hidden
>Subject: 20010508: GEMPAK 5.6.C.1: radar composites
>Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 10:58:40 -0600
>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>
>
>>From: Clint Rowe <address@hidden>
>
>>Chiz,
>>
>>I grabbed 5.6.c.1 yesterday and installed it.  The installation went
>>fine, but when I tried to use gdradr to create composites, I couldn't
>>get it to work unless my data were in $RAD/NIDS/%SITE%/%PROD% as
>>%PROD%_YYYYMMDD_HHNN.  My data were in $RAD/RADAR/%SITE%/%PROD%, but
>>even when I made that change in datatype.tbl, it wouldn't find the data.
>>When I moved the directory to $RAD/NIDS and changed datatype.tbl back,
>>it worked fine.  So, even though I have it working now, you might want
>>to see why it won't find a different directory.
>>
>>Clint
>>
>>====================================================================
>>Clinton M. Rowe
>>Associate Professor
>>Meteorology/Climatology Program                  phone:(402)472-1946
>>Department of Geosciences                          fax:(402)472-4917
>>University of Nebraska-Lincoln                        address@hidden
>>

>Clint,
>
>I did put the default of $RAD/NIDS in the code if it didn't find
>the NEXRIII line in the datatype.tbl. So, if you did update the
>datatype.tbl config file and it still did not find the file, you
>might need to check the line for errors or line wraps (that table
>has long lines). Did you update your old table, or were you
>using the datatype.tbl that came with the new distribution?
>If you were updating, make sure that the other datatype.tbl file
>isn't being found in your home or working directory.
>
>I put a warning message in the gdradr.f code to notify you if
>NEXRIII wasn't being found and the default was being used. You should see
>a [GDRADR 2] message of:
>NEXRIII template not found using $RAD/NIDS/%SITE%/%PROD%.
>Otherwise, it would be possible that a NEXRIII template is being found
somewhere
>in a datatype.tbl file that hasn't been updated.
>

>Steve Chiswell
>**************************************************************************** <
>Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
>(303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
>address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------- <
>Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/      <
>**************************************************************************** <

Chiz,

The only copies of datatype.tbl on our systems are the ones from the
distributions (i.e., in $GEMTBL/config, currently
$GEMTBL=/home/nawips/NAWIPS-5.6c/gempak/tables).
/home/nawips/NAWIPS-5.6/gempak/tables/config/datatype.tbl
/home/nawips/NAWIPS-5.6a/gempak/tables/config/datatype.tbl
/home/nawips/NAWIPS-5.6c/gempak/tables/config/datatype.tbl

I edited the file using vi and just changed NIDS to RADAR, so word-wrapping
was not a problem.

Since 5.6c is the first (and only)version with NEXRIII defined and the
fact that  I'm not getting any error messages from GDRADR, it must be
finding the correct datatype.tbl, but not following the specified path.