20010504: 20010504: Aircraft obs and NMC2/PCWS feeds

Christian,

1) dcacft does decode the /IC group in bulletins for ising. The parameter
in the decoded surface file is ICNG. You can see the parameters in the
$GEMTBL/pack/acft.pack file, or use SFPARM=dset in sflist to
show all parameters in the file.

The decoder is looking for:
> dcacft -help

 DCACFT

     DCACFT decodes raw AIREP, PIREP, RECCO and AMDAR reports etc.

I see that IC is more frequently repoted from the fixed points
(eg using SFPARM=IC>0). The icing number stored is:
C*              NONE            = 0
C*              TRACE           = 1
C*              TRACE-LIGHT     = 2
C*              LIGHT           = 3
C*              LIGHT-MODERATE  = 4
C*              MODERATE        = 5
C*              MODERATE-SEVERE = 7
C*              SEVERE          = 8

2) Here is an AIREP I found for Australia:

516
UAAU01 AMMC 091200
AIREP
ANZ164 3835S 16723E 1133 F370 MS57 340/105=
QFA39 3835S 16723E 1118 F340 MS52 350/077=

I also see AIREP repors from New Zeland, Japan, and other locations.

3) Not all sites receive PCWS and NMC2. PCWS is the ACARS data. You obtain
that data feed from FSL- it is not relayed due to restrictions on the use of
the data.

The NMC2 data feed is extremely large. Only a few sites receive it. UIUC does
receive it- but are probably not expecting to feed it to you if you
haven't discussed it with them.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support