20010509: gempak and color depth

Eric,

There are no immediate plans for using True color visuals since they
use 3 times the amount of memory as 8 bit visuals. That becomes a
problem when running long loop displays with the GUI interfaces.

The GEMPAK requirement is that the default visual is 8 bits. You can
have other visuals for different software, but the default visual id is
what GEMPAK is looking for.

The Xfree86 X server that most linux systems have does not allow for
multiple visuals. That is a limitation of that server. Instead, you can
run more than 1 X server and use a hotkey to change between the screens.

McIDAS X can use 8 bit or 24 bit displays.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support