20010514: 20010502: gdradr Composite

Mike,

You can create a picture in the format of WSI, Unisys, or
even GINI for the radar data. There are several downsides there.
Primarily, the projection/navigation models used there (or hardcoded
as is the case of several of the mosaics provided by vendors) do
not allow for much flexibility in regional and floater composites
as well as national composites. At least GINI is self describing so that
the projection is included with the image- but ony 3 navigation
models are provided.

Secondly, you lose the ability to do functional computations
on the data, such as combining the data with model grids.

I am working on a GINI format converter- so any package that can
display NOAAPORT imagery should be able to display any grid that
GEMPAK can create remapped into the limited projections allowed
by GINI.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support