20010524: Question

>From: karl <address@hidden>

>I am a LDM admin for UofM, and the machine we have to field remote
>connections to garp isn't cutting it. What sort of Sun would you reccomend
>to support say 10 to 20 connections to a machine mounting the LDM data
>remotely, and running garp for those connections?
>--------------------------------
>-Karl Brosius
>-Unix Administrator
>-Space Physics Research Facility
>"Implement Technology"

Karl,

Is your 1 server running Garp for all 10-20 users, or are the
remote machines running Garp locally and just mounting the
GEMPAK/Garp binaries and LDM data files?

The primary consideration for running Garp is the amount of RAM available,
since running loops of images for each copy of the program will use considerable
memory resources. If swapping has to occur, the annimation loops will be slow.
If you run Garp on the individual machines, and utilize the server as
the file server, the server can be much less robust.

Are you currently running NSF3 in your lab?

What type of machines are the remote displays?

Steve Chiswell