20010625: merged surface data

>From: "J. Correia" <address@hidden>

>i am trying to merge a ship, buoy and metar files...but it appears thru
>the email archive that u cant actually use sfmod with a ship file...
>is there a better way to do this with gempak 5.6? or is the sfedit method
>the best available?
>thanks,
>james correia jr
>fsu

James,

When merging data that is in different types of files, and different
parameter lists, you will have to plan ahead for specifying the SFPRMF.
That is, the reporting parameters in the METAR file will be different
than those in the ship/buoy file. The best thing to do is create
a new file with the list of parameters you want in the
merged file (40 parameters is the maximum).

Here is the easiest way to merge SHIP and METAR using SFMOD and
a standard GEMPAK surface file:

1) Create a new empty file with sfcfil. Here I'm just going to
use TMPC since it is a parameter in both types of input data.
I'll create a standard surface file with room for 24 times and 15,000 stations.
Chances are, if your metar file was created with dcmetr, and you didn't specify
a large number of additional stations, you won't have room in the existing file.

 SFOUTF   = testme.gem
 SFPRMF   = tmpc
 STNFIL   =
 SHIPFL   = n
 TIMSTN   = 24/15000
 SFFSRC   =
 GEMPAK-SFCFIL>r

 SFCFIL PARAMETERS:

 New surface file:      testme.gem

 Parameter file:        tmpc

 Station file:

 Number of stations in STNFIL:       0
 Number of additional stations:  15000
 Total number of stations:       15000
 Total number of times:             24

 This file will be a standard surface file.

Enter <cr> to accept parameters or type EXIT:
 Parameters requested: SFOUTF,SFPRMF,STNFIL,SHIPFL,TIMSTN,SFFSRC.
 GEMPAK-SFCFIL>e

2) Use SFMOD to copy the ship data to the new file. Here, I'll just
copy the 12Z data as an example.

 SFFILE   = ship
 SFOUTF   = testme.gem
 DATTIM   = 1200
 DATOUT   = 1200
 AREA     = dset
 SFPARM   = dset
 GEMPAK-SFMOD>sfparm = tmpc
 GEMPAK-SFMOD>r

 SFMOD PARAMETERS:

 Input file:        ./2001062512_sb.gem

 Output file:       testme.gem

 Area:              dset

 Output parameters: tmpc

 Input date/time:        Output date/time:
 010625/1200             010625/1200
Enter <cr> to accept parameters or type EXIT:
 Parameters requested: SFFILE,SFOUTF,DATTIM,DATOUT,AREA,SFPARM.
 GEMPAK-SFMOD>e

3) Now copy the metar data.

 SFFILE   = metar
 SFOUTF   = testme.gem
 DATTIM   = 1200
 DATOUT   = 1200
 AREA     = dset
 SFPARM   = tmpc
 GEMPAK-SFMOD>r

 SFMOD PARAMETERS:

 Input file:        $GEMDATA/surface/20010625_sao.gem

 Output file:       testme.gem

 Area:              dset

 Output parameters: tmpc

 Input date/time:        Output date/time:
 010625/1200             010625/1200
Enter <cr> to accept parameters or type EXIT:

Steve Chiswell