20010727: 20010726: running GEMPAK5.6 decoders

James,

Glad you have things working.

The problem with placing ship data in a daily file is that you
are limited to 30,000 observations in a ship file- where every location/time
is a separate observation. While you could use the YYYYMMDD template,
you would likely exceed the 30,000 observation limit.

The ldmadmin script is configured to rotate the ldmd.log file when
you start up the LDM, but you must have "setuid" permission
on the hupsyslog program in the ~ldm/bin directory for rotating the log.

Make sure the ldmd.log file is owned by ldm, and in the ldmadmin script you have
not set log_rotate to 0.

<snip>
# set this to 0 if you don't want the ldm log files rotated whenever you
# start or restart the ldm.

$log_rotate = 1;
<snip>

If you have problems getting ldmd.log to rotate, let support know and
we'll get someone to help on that end.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support