20010806: gempak-5.6.D.1 compiling problems under IRIX64

Christian,

Most likely, you have some problems in your Gemenviron environmental variables
during your build which would be caused by having your $GEMPAK variable
pointing to your old distribution so that the MXTAGN is not found
in the old gemprm.h file. Perhaps you did not source the new Gemenviron
before building so that your -I$(GEMPAK)/include in the makefiles
was refering to the old distribution that did not have MXTAGN defined.
Likely too if some routines were not built leading to your unresolved
references if your $GEMLIB variable was pointing to the old distribution.

You should run "make distclean" from the top of the 5.6.D.1 distribution
tree to clean up any libraries etc. Then, verify that you unpacked
the 5.6.D.1 tree into a clean directory (and not overtop of
an old distribution).

Next, make sure that you have correctly defined the NAWIPS variable
in your Gemenviron file before sourcing it. Then source Gemenviron
and make sure that $GEMPAK and $CONFIGDIR are in your 5.6.D.1 tree, eg:
echo $GEMPAK $CONFIGDIR

Once you have done that, you should be able to build with:
cd $NAWIPS
make all install >& make.irix &

That will log your build to the make.irix file. If you have any problems,
you can send me the output file. Since my desktop system is IRIX64,
I have built the 5.6.D.1 release many times.

Finally, after the package is installed, you can reset your .cshrc source of
Gemenviron
so that your 5.6.D.1 distribution is added to your path and not the 5.6.C.1
distribution.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support