20010808: dcmetr question

Bob,

Dcmetr does decode PK WND in the $GEMPAK/source/bridge/mt/mtpkwd.f routine,
but it is not stored in the current configuration (apparently due to a large
number of reports which don't follow the appropriate coding convention
as I infer from the comments in the code). So, I will tell you how to
make dcmetr store the vaalues, but you may have some QC issues with observations
that aren't correctly coding the values.

Add PWSP and PWDR (as defined in "phelp sfparm") to the $GEMTBL/pack/metar.pack
file that the dcmetr decoder uses, or create your own and specify it
with the -p option to dcmetr, eg add:
PWSP         0.        200.      1.
PWDR         0         360.      1.

Then, edit the routine $GEMPAK/source/bridge/mt/mtintf.f as follows:

Increase the number of parameters to be stored from 29 to 31 (eg the 2
additional values) for NUMP:

        PARAMETER       ( NUMP = 31 )

Then, add PWSP and PWDR to the list of decoded parameters:
        DATA            dprms / 'PMSL',  'ALTI',  'TMPC',  'DWPC',
     +                          'SKNT',  'DRCT',  'GUST',  'WNUM',
     +                          'CHC1',  'CHC2',  'CHC3',  'VSBY',
     +                          'P03D',  'P03I',  'MSUN',  'SNOW',
     +                          'WEQS',  'P24I',  'TDXC',  'TDNC',
     +                          'P03C',  'CTYL',  'CTYM',  'CTYH',
     +                          'P06I',  'T6XC',  'T6NC',  'CEIL',
     +                          'P01I',  'PWSP',  'PWDR',
     +                          NUMEXT*' ' /

Recompile and link:
cd $GEMPAK/source/bridge/mt
make all
make clean

cd $GEMPAK/source/programs/dc/dcmetr
make clean
make all
make install
make clean

You will have to wait until a new output file is created for the new
packing parameters to be used.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Does the dcmetr decoder handle the PK WND remark in the remarks section?
If it does,
how do I get it to "see" it? Do I have to add some parameters to the
pack file?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Dave Bernhardt