20010825: Goes-10 and Mosaic 8km images not working

>From: Sean Daida <address@hidden>

>Hi there,
>
>I recently installed the solaris sparc binary version of gempak
>5.6.d.1.  It's mostly working fine.  One issue I can't seem to figure
>out is when I try to run GPMAP (either from a script or from the command
>line) and select a GOES10 8km WV or a MOSAIC (GMS/GOES10) 8km WV or IR
>image, I get "Abort (core dumped)".  I tried to go back to gempak 5.4
>but for some reason (although I didn't change anything in the older
>installation) none of the satellite images work for me.  I ran gpmap on
>older images that had worked before and those didn't work either.
>
>I checked areaInfo -v and I think the imgtyp.tbl is set up right.  The
>other types of imagery are working fine (4km IR,VIS,WV, and 8km IR).
>Any ideas?  Anything you need from me to figure this out?  I have been
>working on this and the other various problems with upgrading for about
>a week now.  I'm running out of ideas.
>
>Sincerely,
>Sean Daida
>address@hidden

Sean,

It sounds like there is some problem with the color map, or a version
incompatibility.

Make sure that you are running ntl so that you know you have enough colors
to display the satellite image with the xw driver. If you try to launch
ntl and it tells you that you do not have enough colors, then that
would be the cause for your abort/dump message. Make sure any xw or gplt
processes that may have been orphaned are killed and the message queues
are deleted. If you can't launch ntl with the default number of
95 colors for satellite images, then you can adjust the number using
the -s option such as "ntl -s 32".

Also, make sure you don't have any old gplt or xw programs running from
other versions of GEMPAK. You want to ensure that your path only have
the executables for your current $GEMEXE distribution in it, so
there is no confusion on finding a gpmap or gplt from one version
of GEMPAK, and a xw from another version of the software.

Steve Chiswell