20010821: GEMPAK 5.6d using STNPLOT

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

>I would like to print out full city names for some radar maps
>I am doing.  There is not enough room in the first entry
>of a station table to speel out the full name of many cities.
>Is there any way to use stnplot to plot the 3rd column,
>the name?
>
>Thanks,
>Robert Mullenax

Robert,

The stid plotting for STNPLT is hardcoded into the
$GEMPAK/source/gemlib/gg/ggsplt.f routine.

The $GEMPAK/source/contrib/tdl/radmap/ggsplt2.f routine is an example
of modifying the GTEXT call to plot the station name (column 3)
rather than the 1st column if you wanted to make a version of gpmap
that used column 3 (the cities.rad table is in the radmap directory).
The radmap program is what I use to plot the maps at:
http://motherlode.ucar.edu/unidata/images/nids/

An alternative for just a few strings would be tu use GPTEXT, but that is
definitely clunky when you want to do a lot of stations.

I did a lot of abbreviating to squeeze the station names to 8 characters in
the file: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/contrib/disco_sites.tbl
which I used to label maps for the discovery channel:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/gifs/FTG_N0R.gif

No perfect options. Probably STNPLT should be modified in the parsing
in ggsplt.f to add a "/" option in the plotting to specify what column to plot
(defaulting to column 1). I'll see if I can look into that without breaking
any other uses of STNPLT.

Steve Chiswell