Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:32:11 -0500
From: Steven Danz <address@hidden>
To: Steve Chiswell <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 20010826: Just an FYI on a 'port' of gempak

I haven't had a chance to run a diff before/after my twiddles but
the things I remember:

1) uname on Cygwin returns 'cygwin' (of course ;-) so I ifdef-ed
    the Gemenviron to accept that as Linux (Didn't want/need to add a
    new machine type). I added a new 'NA_BUILD_CYGWIN'
    to distinguish that this was a Cygwin build (used later).
2) I used lesstif (as mentioned), there is a binary release of that for
    Cygwin (for the lazy among us).  It has some issues with how
    the NAWIPS tools are creating dialog boxes and Exit/Help
    buttons (really minor changes) if you were interested.
3) I ran into some issues with -lm, in a nutshell, you don't want to mention
    it on the link line.  You don't need it (which is why I tar-red up the
Cygwin
    env an unpacked it on Linux, to see if a 'real' Linux build needed it).
There
is
    some issues with libraries getting out of order if you put -lm on the link
line.

    It _looks_ like it is put into the SYSLIBS for other platforms where needed,
    (as I'm guessing it should be) but all the Makefiles were not looking for
it.
4) I noticed that a 'make clean' doesn't quite clean up everything. There
    are some netcdf libraries left lurking around.  I found this by tarring
    up the Cygwin stuff, unpacking it on Linux, running 'make clean'
    then make all.  The netcdf libraries would never rebuild.  I don't think
    I fixed this in the Makefiles, I just blasted the lib dir and started over.
5) You will need the ipc libraries for the message queue stuff. They are
    in a separate package, see:
    http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/index.html
    for the cygipc package (1.09 is the version I have).  I haven't given it
    much of a workout yet, I was mostly looking for nsat ;-) I added a
    -lcygipc to the SYSLIBS when NA_BUILD_CYGWIN was
    defined.  And added SYSLIBS to the Makefile where needed.

That's all I can remember off the top.... I'll try to get around to a diff
in a couple days.

-Steven