20011031: label positions in gempak

>From: address@hidden (Chris Hennon)

>  This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
>  while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
>  Send mail to address@hidden for more info.
>
>---559023410-851401618-1004540423=:2393
>
>Steve -
>
>I'm using gpmap version 5.6A.  By default, when I specify a plot area of
>0;-100;50;-2.5, the latitude and longitude labels encroach on the plot and
>the map extends out to the very edge of the viewing area (at least
>horizontally - see the attached gif for an example).  Optimally, I'd like
>a plot with the latitude and longitude labels outside of the map area, and
>with a map that neatly ends within the viewing area.  Is there a simple
>way of doing this?  Thanks.
>
>Chris

>| Chris Hennon        Ohio State University   |
>| Tropical Meteorology      address@hidden   |
>|                                              |
>| Dept of Geography   Office: 1155 Derby Hall  |
>| 1036 Derby Hall     Phone : (614) 292-2704   |
>| Columbus, OH 43210  Fax   : (614) 292-6213   |

Chris,

Use the LATLON paramter to control which longitude and longitude the labels
are drawn on:
color/line_type/line_width/x-freq;y-freq/x-inc;y-inc/lt_label;ln_label/form

      The latitude and longitude labels refer to the latitude at which to label
      the longitudes lines and the longitude at which to label the latitude
lines
      The defaults for the latitude and longitude value placements if either or
      both are not specified are usually the left side for latitude labeling
      and the bottom for longitude labeling.

And the margin specification on the PROJ variable to allow room on the
top/sides:
map proj / ang1;ang2;ang3 / l;b;r;t (margins) | image drop flag

Here is an example I ran with gpmap and XW that looks like it would
address your needs:

 MAP      = 6
 GAREA    = 0;-100;50;-2.5
 PROJ     = ced//6;3;3;0