20011107: two GEMPAK questions

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

>Steve,
>
>Two GEMPAK questions.  Our Solaris x86 bix is limited
>to 1024x768.  At that res the data box for NWX is too big
>to fit on the screen (the buttons at the bottom are off the screen).
>I never saw this before as I was exporting the display to another
>machine.  Is there a way around that short of buying a monitor/video
>that will 1152x900 or latger?

Robert,

This involves creating a copy/modifying  of the $NAWIPS/resource
files for the smaller display so that you can specify the geometry.
I have done this in the past for our lap top which is 1024x768.
I'll see if I can dig those out.

>Questions #2..I want to start using GCC as the compiler for
>our x86 box since the Sun compilers are no longer being made
>and to cut down on the complexity (license manager) when the
>other guys might have to do a build.  Will GEMPAK compile
>with gcc/g77 on Solaris?  If so do you already have a makefile
>for that combo?  I would like to go ahaed and build it with
>some mods on another machine.
>
>Thanks,
>Robert Mullenax

The g77 compiler can't handle the CHAR() functions in the
$GEMPAK/include/MCHPRM.X86 file (unlike the f77 compilers).
Therefore, the MCHPRM.X86 needs to use the assigments
as used in the MCHPRM.Linux file which was created for the
g77 compiler. Then, the $CONFIGDIR/Makeinx.x86 will need
the appropriate gcc and g77 configurations.

I haven't tested this configuration, so I don't have a
sample of these files. I can create these configurations
for the 5.6.e.1 distribution that I will be making soon-
so I can test the build configuration- but if
you are ready to proceed....the above should be the extents.

Steve CHiswell