20011107: GEMPAK under Linux with Xnest

Art,

A while back you posed the question about how GEMPAK can co-exist
on your Linux workstations without losing the 24 bit capability
of other programs given the limitation of the Xfree86 X server.
One solution was to run 2 Xservers and ctrl-alt F7/F8 hotkey
swap between them.

John Stokes here at Unidata just installed the Xnest program:
http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/Xnest.1.html

on one of our Linux workstations. Xnest creates an X display
within your current session. Thus, you can run you standard
Gnome and/or 24bit color display, and run Xnest to create an 8 bit
display in your current work environment. I have tried
this using the TWM window manager inside Xnest and have been able to
run the GEMPAK applications without trouble.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support