20011127: compiling f77 code that calls gempak subroutines

>From: Paul Markowski <address@hidden>

>Hi,
>
>Can you tell me how to compile f77 code containing calls to gempak
>subroutines (e.g., sf_opnf, sf_tstn, sf_rdat)?  I.e., what libraries to I
>need to link to, and are all of these in $GEMLIB?  I'm running Red Hat
>linux 7.0, for what it's worth.
>
>Thanks,
>Paul Markowski
>
>__________________
>Dr. Paul Markowski
>Department of Meteorology
>Pennsylvania State University
>503 Walker Building
>University Park, PA  16802
>email: address@hidden
>phone: (814) 865-0478
>fax: (814) 865-3663
>web: http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~marko/

Paul,

The routines that start with xx_xxxx() are all in gemlib.a. However,
these routines may call other routines in other libraries -
typically cgemlib.a or the GEMPLT routines via appl.a.

The general g77 definitions in $CONFIGDIR/Makeinc.linux for compiling
use the flag: -fno-second-underscore

A typical compile line would look like:

g77 -fno-second-underscore (your source).o $GEMLIB/gemlib.a $GEMLIB/appl.a \
   $GEMLIB/syslib.a $GEMLIB/cgemlib.a $GEMLIB/gemlib.a

You can take advantage of the platform configurations already defined
in the $CONFIGDIR by following the Makefile example
such as $GEMPAK/source/programs/sf/sflist/Makefile.

Steve Chiswell