20011203: 20011130: 20011130: Computing the standard deviation

Andy,

I took your grid file and verified that I can display the "C" quantity for
f000.

I then created a surface file with:
 SFOUTF   = 2meter_temp.sfc
 SFPRMF   = TMC1;AVRG;STAN;MINS;PLUS
 STNFIL   = sfmetar_sa.tbl
 SHIPFL   = n
 TIMSTN   = 24/100
 SFFSRC   = text
 GEMPAK-SFCFIL>

In the above, sfmetar_sa.tbl is a surface file with SAC (Sacremento, CA) in it.
As I mentioned previously, your use of TIMSTN was not correct.

I then used gdgsfc to write the grid "C" to the surface file and
call it "STAN".

 GDFILE   = 2001120300_ensemble.gem
 GDATTIM  = f000
 GVCORD   = hght
 GLEVEL   = 2
 GFUNC    = c
 SCALE    = 999
 SFFILE   = 2meter_temp.sfc
 SFPARM   = dset
 GEMPAK-GDGSFC>sfparm = stan
 GEMPAK-GDGSFC>r

 Grid file: 2001120300_ensemble.gem

 GRID IDENTIFIER:
    TIME1             TIME2         LEVL1 LEVL2   VCORD PARM
011203/0000F000                         2          HGHT C

                                                   SCALE:  0

 File:              2METER_TEMP.SFC

 Time:              011203/0000

 Parameter:         STAN

Enter <cr> to accept parameters or type EXIT:
 Parameters requested: GDFILE,GDATTIM,GVCORD,GLEVEL,GFUNC,SCALE,SFFILE,
 SFPARM.
 GEMPAK-GDGSFC>

I can now list out the value of STAN (which is b^2) with SFLIST:

 SFFILE   = 2meter_temp.sfc
 AREA     = @sac
 DATTIM   = all
 SFPARM   = stan;slat;slon
 OUTPUT   = t
 IDNTYP   = STID
 GEMPAK-SFLIST>r
 PARM = STAN;SLAT;SLON

    STN    YYMMDD/HHMM      STAN     SLAT     SLON
    SAC    011203/0000      0.29    38.52  -121.50

 Parameters requested: SFFILE,AREA,DATTIM,SFPARM,OUTPUT,IDNTYP.
 GEMPAK-SFLIST>

This appears to be what you said you could not get. I included the
SLAT and SLON output in sflist as well since it could be that if your
station table you are using has a problem with the location of SAC,
then you could get -9999 as STAN if the SLAT and SLON were not known.
If that is the case we'd have to have a look at your
/usr/local/nawips/gempak/tables/stns/2m_temp.tbl file.

So at this point, I need you to verify that you are doing as I am above
and you still see -9999 for the STAN value of SAC.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support