Re: 20020125: Richardson Number from grids

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:

> I guess I should have included this, but would the same apply for
> Brunt-Vaisala frequency in a layer (BVFQ)?
>
> GFUNC=BVFQ(wnd)
>
> Patrick

Patrick,
No, Brunt-Vaisala frequency is not dependent on wind.
From "phelp gfunc" within a GEMPAK program, you will find:
 BVSQ    (THTA)          Brunt-Vaisala frequency squared in a layer

so, use GFUNC=BVSQ(THTA).

The Richardson number online help provides:
 RICH    (V)             Richardson stability number in a layer

where V is a vector. In the message I sent you, WND is one possible
vector, meaning the total wind.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support