Re: 20010120: radar_national_mosaic?

Neil,

gpmap can display "NIDS" NEXRAD radar images using RADFIL and proj=rad.
Satellite or other images in "AREA" or "GINI" formats can be displayed with
SATFIL and proj=sat.

But, the mosaic product is not a NEXRAD image. Its a grid file, just like
a model output or oabsfc objective analysis, etc.
You can display the grid in any projection, and overlay on images too.

The program GDRADR reads the NEXRAD images (each of which has
a unique projection centered on the radar location), and creates
a grid projection that is used to sample each radar. The result
is a gempak grid file. In the data stream, I use the GDGRIB program
to create a GRIB message from the GEMPAK grid so that users of
other software packages can decode the GRIB to their software too.
The grib decoder for GEMPAK just decodes the product back to
a GEMPAK grid. You can also use the grid in computations as I showed on the
web page combining temperature grids to create a precipitation type product.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport