Re: 20020212: Isallobaric wind

Thanks, Chiz. That worked! I was not specifying the two time periods in GDATTIM correct. I specufued a pressure tendency field in GFUNC at one time and it promptly gave me an error message. Live and learn!

Mohan

At 12:06 PM 2/12/2002, you wrote:
>From: Mohan Ramamurthy <address@hidden>

>>Chiz,
>
>A quick questions: How do I plot the isallobaric wind?  That is, what is
>the argument to ISAL?
>Is it the isallobaric field or something else?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mohan

>Dr. Mohan Ramamurthy e-mail: address@hidden
> c.edu
>Associate Professor                                    Ph:  (217) 333-8650
>Department of Atmospheric Sciences                     Fax: (217) 244-4393
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>105 S. Gregory Street
>Urbana, IL 61801-3070

Mohan,

On a pressure surface, it is generally ISAL(HGHT). Or, simply ISAL.

The function will compute the Geostropic wind from the scalar to
ISAL(S), so most often you would use HGHT to compute the
geostrophic wind. ISAL is also one of those predefined variables
that will try to compute as just ISAL without any arguments
(like WND, GEO, AGE, etc). The isallobaric wind requires a time
difference, so gdattim is 2 times time1:time2. As an exaple using
GDPLOT2:

GDFILE  = ETA
GDATTIM = f000:f024
GVCORD  = pres
GLEVEL  = 700
TYPE    = a
WIND    = ak6
etc...

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
(303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/      <