20020220: gempak/ldm

Jeff,
I looked at your pqact.conf. The reason you weren't decoding any
METAR data is because your pqact.conf action was piping to
the dchrly decoder which existed in GEMPAK 5.4. The appropriate decoder
for GEMPAK 5.6 is dcmetr.

Also, the GEMTBL location you were specifying was incorrect. It should
be /usr/local/nawips/gempak/tables for your setup.

I edited your pqact.conf file and made the necessary changes. I also
fixed your ldmd.conf invocation of pqact so that the "-d" option
is used so that the decoders/ and data/ directories referenced
in pqact.conf will be relative to /home/kramer3/users/ldm. That
makes maintaining the pqact.conf actions easier (and shorter).

You now have GEMPAK data files being decoded. I didn't change your
dcgrib decoding lines, but you will notice from my examples in
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/pqact/decoders.tbl
that there is a way to use a single PIPE to dcgrib2 for all the
model data rather than individual dcgrib actions for each data set.
In the future, we might want to move that way to make your
life easier when maintaining the pqact.conf table.

I also notice that you are requesting UNIDATA|NNEXRAD from
redwood.atmos.albany.edu. It appears that redwood is not allowing you
to request NNEXRAD. However, you don't have any pqact.conf actions
to process the NNEXRAD data anyhow. But, Anne and/or Jeff may want
to straighten this out so that you get NEXRAD data if you are looking for it.
I also notice that you are requesting NLDN from striker.atmos.albany.edu.
That request is also not being allowed on their end.

One reason that it was difficult to determine what your problems were
is that your ldm was not logging to ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log even though
your /etc/syslogd was set up to do that. I created the ldmd.log file
and after restarting your ldm, you now have the ldm logging
correctly. The restart also allowed the -d option to pqact.conf
to take affect.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support