20020305: GPFRONT with satellite image

Patrick,

It sounds like you don't have enough colors to display the satellite
image on your Xvfb screen :1.0. If you have other scripts running
and generating their displays on :1.0, especially if they are also displaying
satellite images, then the possibility exists to have more than one gf
process trying to access the color map at the same time.
Recall that without ntl running on the display, each process will have its own
colors, and you could be using 128 satellite colors and 33 graphic colors (161
colors total).

You can try the following:

1) ensure that you don't have other scripts using the :1.0 display at the
   time you are running your script. If you are running a lot of scripts
   from cron, consider using a master script that queues up the
   products that you are producing (also works well to balance the load
   on your system).

2) try the gif driver instead of gf. This will avoid the use of the X server,
   and therefore the color conflicts. If this works, then it likely
   means that your X display colors are fewer than necessary.

3) Try launching a second virtual display and using that one.

4) look for any orphaned gf or xw processes using :1.0 that might
   have occured if your script exited before running gpend.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport