20020425: Gempak decoders with LDM

Dongyu,

The paths in pqact.conf are relative to the ~ldm account directory.

The sample GEMPAK decoder entries I provide at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/pqact/decoders.tbl
show the use of decoders/dc..... for the executable path.

You can either create a link from your $GEMEXE directory to
~ldm/decoders (so that a ~ldm/decoders/dcuair finds your $GEMEXE/dcuair file),

or

create a decoders directory under ~ldm and copy the $GEMEXE/dc* programs
into ~ldm/decoders.

In your pqact.conf lines below, you have /decoders/dcuair and
/usr/local/ldm/decoders/dcmetr. These are likely wrong.

If you create the ~ldm/deciders directory as I mentioned above,
then the proper executable paths will be decoders/dcuair and
decoders/dcmetr. Or, you can give the full path to your
programs (but it makes for more editing of the samples I provide):
/export/home/gempack/bin/sol/dcuair
/export/home/gempack/bin/sol/dcmetr.

Also, you do not need to but TAB characters between the
decoder options and there values, eg, <TAB> characters separate the
arguments interpreted by pqact:

#upperair data
DDS|IDS <TAB> ^U[ABDEFGHIJKLMPQRSTXZ].... .... ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9])
        <TAB> PIPE <TAB> /decoders/dcuair -b 24 -m 16
        <TAB> -d /usr/local/ldm/data/gempak/logs/dcuair.log
        <TAB> -e GEMTBL=/export/home/gempack/gempak/tables/stns
        <TAB> -s snstns.tbl
        <TAB> data/gempak/upperair/YYYYMMDD_upa.gem

For GRIB data, use the dcgrib2 example I provide in the
web URL above:
# Global GRIB decoding action.
# Products stored maintained in $GEMTBL/grid/gribkey.tbl
HDS     ^[HOYZ].*
        PIPE    decoders/dcgrib2 -d data/gempak/logs/dcgrib.log
        -e GEMTBL=/export/home/gempack/gempak/tables

You can use GARP, or NMAP2 as GUI interfaces to display the
data. Or, the command line programs like sfmap, snmap, etc.
The configuration files in $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl and
$GARPHOME/config/Garp_defaults.tbl all assume you use the
decoded file locations under ~ldm/data/gempak as shown on the
URL above. If you  use these locations, then you only
need to edit the environmental variable locations in $NAWIPS/Gemenviron
for $GEMDATA on your system.

For example, if your ~ldm account is /usr/local/ldm, and your data is being
filed under the ~ldm/data/gempak directory, then
set GEMDATA in the Gemenviron file to /usr/local/ldm/data/gempak.

The decoders that come from NCEP (like dcmetr and dcuair)
require that you create the data directory that they will write
to, so make sure ~ldm/data/gempak/upperair and
~ldm/data/gempak/surface exist.

The dcgrib2 decoder will create all the necessary directories.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support