20020521: GEMPAK Help

Rebecca,

In GEMPAK programs, comment lines within programs will begin with "!".
When you use "$" within a shell script, you will escape it,
(eg \$ ) unless you want the shell to interpret some environmental variable.

Below, you also had a typo:
nbd=bg/24+world_bnds/8+lakes/24
should be
bnd=bg/24+world_bnds/8+lakes/24

Also, in the title string, the characters "-" and "@" are only
special characters in the title in grid programs and not sfmap.

Here is a short example that shows using GPMAP to draw the
filled boundaries using BND, and then overlays METAR data on
the map backgrouund using the SFMAP program.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

#!/bin/csh -f
#--------------------- example script --------------------
#
# source the Gemenviron script for the GEMPAK configurations
#
source /home/gempak/Gemenviron

#
# set the DEVICE environmental variable which
# will be used in the programs below
#
set DEVICE="xw"

# Note: $respond and $mapfil are GEMPAK variables, escape the $ so that
# csh will not try to interpret them as environmental variables
gpmap << EOF
 !
 !
 \$respond = yes
 \$mapfil = hipowo.cia
 MAP      = 32
 GAREA    = 22.0;-122.0;47.0;-65.0
 PROJ     = lcc/25;-103;60
 SATFIL   =
 RADFIL   =
 LATLON   = 0
 PANEL    = 0
 TITLE    =
 TEXT     =
 CLEAR    = y
 DEVICE   = ${DEVICE}
 LUTFIL   =
 STNPLT   =
 VGFILE   =
 AFOSFL   =
 AWPSFL   =
 LINE     =
 WATCH    =
 WARN     =
 HRCN     =
 ISIG     =
 LTNG     =
 ATCF     =
 AIRM     =
 NCON     =
 SVRL     =
 BND      = bg/24+world_bnds/8+lakes/24
 ATCO     =
 TCMG     =
 QSCT     =
 IMBAR    =
 run

 exit
EOF

sfmap << EOF2
 !
 ! This example will plot the standard METAR variables
 ! using the parameters and colors defined in $GEMTBL/config/prmlist.tbl.
 !
 AREA     = dset
 GAREA    = 22.0;-122.0;47.0;-65.0
 SATFIL   =
 RADFIL   =
 SFPARM   = metar
 COLORS   =
 DATTIM   = 020521/2000
 SFFILE   = metar
 !
 ! set clear to "no" to overlay on the map drawn in GPMAP
 CLEAR    = n
 !
 ! do not redraw the map here, just overlay the data on the GPMAP output
 MAP      = 0
 LATLON   = 0
 TITLE    = 1/0
 PANEL    = 0